Monday, May 11, 2015

How God Brings Change Sometimes


There are times when we pray prayers asking God to renew us, refresh us or bring something new into our lives. We don't always know what we are asking for.As churches we all shout "Bring us revival. Lord! we want to experience your river!"

As individuals we cry and beg "Please change my situation, Lord! Give me something, anything! I want new and hopeful!"
And then when He begins to answer us...to rain on us... sometimes we panic and beg for it to stop.

The thunder seems too loud, the streams too fast...and it's frightening to see the old things being washed away....like they never even existed. This is what happened to me when I asked God to reveal the truth of my situation some years ago. I wanted to be safe, to be free and to find new joy. And then it rained. The mud was washed away to reveal the ugly truth. So many things in my life got swept away and I felt like a stranded survivor of a shipwreck, floating alone on driftwood in an unknown sea. Eventually I floated to a new shore and began a new life. I can look back now and see God's amazing hand through it all. So many miracles!

Sometimes God arranges real life events in a certain way in order to give us a picture of His ways. This Saturday was one of those times for me. He arranged everything down to the tiniest detail. It was absolutely beautiful. I was out walking with the children in another town and an interesting series of events unfolded. For a few days I couldn't find the words to describe it, but this morning He gave me this poem ...which captures everything that happened very well. God was there and we all knew it. I hope you allow Him to minister to you and show you different shades of meaning in and through this.

His Flooding Mercies
copyright 2015 

As the storms rolled in with a mighty downpour
We rested in the old church, inside the ancient door.
We wanted to stay where it was dry as a bone,
But it wasn't inviting, it was empty and alone.
We craved life and warmth and home.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

So we walked down the road, to the creaking log cabin.
On the rough wooden porch, that’s where it happened.
The door was left open, I heard musical sounds,
While eddies of water swirled all around
And rivulets of rain carried away the ground.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

I knew instinctively that You were there, and I felt free.
In the midst of the storm your voice spoke to me
And I felt the urge to drop to my knees.
The gentle rain washed over my skin
and the deep joy fountain began to bubble again.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

I stood in the door
And watched the faces glow, heard the rain downpour.
There were leaks in the roof and puddles on the floor,
Guitar strings, upright bass and violin,
This was for you, our Eternal Friend.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

While the rains pelted down and washed away the ground
We stood calm and listened for the sound
Of your gentle voice speaking so low,
While the Holy Spirit drenched our parched old souls
And the love inside the room began to glow.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

The power of the rain didn’t frighten me,
But some were knocked down and some tried to flee.
I saw them through the old fashioned glass
Running and running, they ran right past
The old cabin, where the music and the water cut new paths.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

The storm raged on, no one cared, faces glowed,
And stories of your faithfulness and glory were told.
Hearts were opened, tears were streaming down.
Rivers of water running through US now
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing OUR ground.

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

What if this is the revival we seek?
Not in the church on down the street?
But in us, in you and me, In the old log cabin on bended knee,
Where the waters rush on and the thunder cracks high
and in spite of our efforts we DON’T stay dry?

And in the sky the thunder rolled,
While out of the cabin the old music flowed
Like the water rushing over and around,
Like the Holy Spirit cleansing the ground.

Let’s stay in the cabin for a few more songs.
Let’s huddle together with others who belong.
I want to sit right down in the middle of this room
Where the voices lift a song and the fiddle plays a tune
And the water rushes over and around,

14 comments:

  1. Dear Dede, I am excited to meet you too. Firstly thank you for your very kind comment on my blog.
    It is very nice coming over here too.

    I loved this quote the most in this post "Sometimes God arranges real life events in a certain way in order to give us a picture of His ways".

    Thank you and many blessings to you. I hope to see more of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you came by! I will be visiting you again soon.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely poem! God's mercies are usually seen in hindsight. I'm unaware of what He is doing in the mist of pain, but looking back I can point out moments of His faithfulness. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only we could see what He was doing while it was happening! But that's one of the reasons I write what I do...to remind people. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem & post! May He rain showers of blessing on us and spark our hearts with true revival! Linked up with you at Make Your Home Sing -- hope you'll stop by Saved by Grace for a visit!
    God bless,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I appreciate your visit...Also, I visited your blog and really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful and encouraging. God brings about change in our lives because He saves us from a mediocre life or a more hurtful experience. It's for our good and our protection. Always, out of love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Always out of love! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it takes a "rain storm" to wash away all that is false and reveal truth. May he rain on you his showers of blessing and guide you as you proclaim His River of Life that makes everything new. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And it was lovely for Him to give me that "real life" experience so that I could really see all the work He has been doing in my life and the lives of others.Thank you so much for visiting me here.

      Delete
  6. So much power in the poem as the Holy Spirit flowed through your words. The rain sounds like pure delight as it washes away all that is no longer needed and fills in the deep wells of the rivers run dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, and a powerful picture of the work He is doing in so many hearts right now.

      Delete
  7. I love how no matter how fast, hard, soft or violently the rain falls, it always cleanses. I'm glad that you can reflect on what he's done for you and see that despite the storm, you are cleansed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showers are a good thing! And sometimes power washers are helpful too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I am so glad you visited me!
Please leave me a comment so I'll know you were here!
(I reserve the right to delete mean comments, and/or block mean people).

Making the Transition to Health{ier}, Where Do I Start?

Today I want to talk about 7 steps to begin the transition into a healthier lifestyle. Approximately 20 years ago I took my first steps tow...